At 2ears2hear, we want to communicate clearly and firmly to Minister Ryall that ONE EAR IS NOT ENOUGH. Children, particularly pre-lingual children, need auditory input from both ears to develop a sound base of language.
There are three main arguments for this:
- Research is now conclusively demonstrating that children with two Cochlear Implants outperform their single implant peers. In fact they achieve on a par with their normal hearing peers.
- The cost of supporting a child with hearing loss is between $30-50,000 per year in New Zealand. Children with two Cochlear Implants catch their normal hearing peers more quickly and become support free sooner. At a purely economic level, its cheaper to fund two Cochlear Implants.
- If an implant fails, a child with two Cochlear Implants can still hear through one ear. This is infinitely better than plunging that child into a world of silence for at least a month (the time it takes to get it replaced). While failures are very rare, being an electronic device, they will happen.
If you want to support our campaign, please:
- Sign our online petition
- Share the link to our online petition via your social media (twitter, Facebook, etc).
- Collect signatures using these forms: Petition Manual Sheet, Billboard-3 and Billboard-5. Please contact us via the Contact Us page for postal details.
- Write to Minister Ryall. Here’s a Form Letter to the Minister you may wish to use.
We, and the up to 46 children a year who receive a Cochlear Implant, would greatly appreciate your support.